Monday, April 30, 2012

Gardening A to Z: Y is for Yard

My yard is my happy place. When I was a kid, I used to spend a lot of time wandering our fenced-in side yard. My dad would talk about how I would wander around his gardens, delicately touching every plant and closely examining them. I loved getting lost among the ferns, trees and bushes. As an adult, I love to sit in my backyard and feel the sun beating down on my face. I love the feeling of release when my fingers dig into the dirt. I love the pride that I feel when I get everything weeded and cut back. I still love to run my fingers through the leaves and to smell each individual bloom. Now I take pictures of what grows, to share them with everyone.

I could sit outside in that small outdoor space all day. The disadvantage of living in a city is that there are always people around. The advantage of my yard, though, is that it is a larger one than most of the people in my neighborhood. I am a single family dwelling on a corner, which leaves me a lot of extra yard space.

Some day I will have to leave this yard behind. And then I will make the next one my happy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment