Sunday, April 15, 2012

Gardening A to Z: H is for Hostas

I love the look of large hostas in a shaded bed. They just fit so well under trees. I had always hoped that I could achieve a similarly beautiful look by placing a bunch of them in my north-facing front bed. But somehow, it just isn't quite the same. (Part of the problem is a sagging gutter above that can overflow and dump too much water.)

I think I also need to work on the beds a bit. I neglected them last year, because after Dad died, I just didn't feel like working out in the yard as much. Hostas are hardy, though, and came back anyway. If I really look closely through the beds, I can see signs of them warming up to make this year's appearance. 


This is one of the hostas I have in my front bed. This is one of my favorite color combinations. It looks especially nice when my purple daylily blooms next to it. The colors offset nicely. My other favorite color is that blue color. I am hoping to get some of those for the side part of the front bed. 

I am grateful that I live in the city as I look at my hostas. Every once in a while, we get a rogue deer that has somehow gotten away from the various nearby parks. Hostas are like salads for deer. (My tulips are a fun sweet snack.) So, if I lived elsewhere, there is no way that they would grow at all.


This one is in my giant side bed of perennials. It looks nicer in the early summer, before the daisies and coneflowers take over the bed. 

Where do you like to put your hostas? What is your favorite color?

No comments:

Post a Comment