Monday, April 30, 2012

Gardening A to Z: U is for Umbel

When doing research for the more difficult letters for this challenge, I came across a great site called Phrontistery. It has a bunch of random words that start with every letter of the alphabet. For the letter "u," I chose "umbel." It means "mass of flowers springing from a single center."

Oh, how I am inspired to go out and spend a wad of money on plants for pots, just from that definition! I have visions of wild color combinations all tightly packed in a burst of petals and foliage and strategically placed all around the garden. One of my favorite places to put a random spray of flowers in a pot is on my old bench in the middle of my side bed. I have an old coal container that someone had in her barn. It is slowly falling apart, so it is useless, except as a gardening ornament. It allows for a burst of color to spring up in the middle of the perennials all season long.

It's too bad that it is still only about 40 degrees outside and that I have no extra cash. Ah, but I can dream....

No comments:

Post a Comment