Monday, April 25, 2011

L is for Lilacs

I live in Rochester, which is the lilac capital of the world. In fact, we annually host the world-renowned Lilac Festival every year. People come from afar to wander Highland Park to look at the beautiful blooms while listening to a variety of music and to purchase artisan goods.


(Photo by Shannon Pifko)


Alas, I am allergic to those beautiful blooms.

I love their smell. I love the way they look. I even have purple and white lilac bushes in my yard. But I cannot be around a lot of them without having a serious problem.

I remember sitting at one staff meeting where someone had brought in an entire bouquet. After about a half hour, I had to hang my head out the window. Another time, we were doing a scavenger hunt around the city and ended up running through Highland Park. I had my first attack that seemed like an asthma attack. I couldn't breathe and had to sit down to catch my breath, then get away from the blooms. Any time I am around several lilacs, I cough and can't breathe. It breaks my heart because they are so beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Lilacs are my favorite fragrance. What's funny about it is that while I'm allergic to so many other things on the planet, lilacs are not one of those things – thankfully! Please find my A-Z Challenge here: http://myheartblogstoyou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete