Monday, April 25, 2011

H is for Hyacinths

Hyacinths truly make me happy in the spring garden. Once those start to bloom, you can be sure that [most] of the snow is behind you. You may still experience one or two weird snow showers (at least in Upstate NY) but spring has really arrived.


I love the little bursts of so many mini flowers on one stalk. Even from a distance, those little bursts and details can be quite intense.


The blue/purple hyacinth is of course my favorite.


But I do have several different colors in my yard. I just don't have pictures of them all.


When I was a kid, grape hyacinths were my favorites. I was fascinated by how they looked like little bunches of grapes. I think I even believed that they were grapes. I would spend hours in my dad's garden just staring at them.


I can still spend hours sitting in my own garden now, staring at them and inhaling the lilac-like scent of all of the hyacinths.

No comments:

Post a Comment