Wednesday, April 27, 2011

K is for Killing Beetles

Apparently I can't remember my alphabet. Or, perhaps I shouldn't write blog posts in the middle of the night. I was writing a bunch the other night and completely skipped over K. I went from Japanese Maple (J) to Lilacs (L). Ah well. I've had a lot on my mind.

K is for killing beetles. Normally I don't mind bugs and beetles. I can handle having them here and there. But those stupid orangish beetles that insist on devouring my lilies every year just have to go!

I wish I could get a picture of the little buggers to show you what they look like. They are like an elongated ladybug that is a reddish orange. They swarm all over the leaves of lilies, but only the tall varieties like asiatics and Orientals. Any lily that resembles these is doomed to have its leaves chewed to a lacy pulp.

These stupid beetles lay their slimy black eggs in abundance on the undersides of the leaves. You can also usually only see them if you gently turn over a leaf. To get rid of them you can only pick them off with your bare fingers and squish them. And you pretty much have to use your fingernails because they have such a hard shell. It is a little gross. But it is also kind of relaxing.

I have tried different pesticides. I have begged at all of the local nurseries for help. Supposedly there was only one that actually worked, but it was so strong that it had to be discontinued.

I don't like to use pesticides. They aren't good for me. They aren't good for the environment. I have a dog who plays in my yard. And the neighborhood kids are often in my yard, also.

But what else to do to save my lilies?

1 comment:

  1. I've read that if you plant garlic near your lilies, the beetles will steer clear.

    I’m A_Z Blogging and my “X” post is right here.

    ReplyDelete