Saturday, April 2, 2011

B is for Bulbs

I love bulbs. I first put in several hundred bulbs about 6 years ago, when my sister and I were still living together. Many of them have continued to come up each year. And every fall, I try to add a few more. I get all excited in the spring, as the snow ebbs and flows, when those green leaves start to poke up through the dirt and snow. That means that spring is really coming, and color will once again abound in the outdoors.

This past summer, I wasn't physically capable of doing a lot of gardening. But by fall, I was finally getting better. I purchased at least 300 bulbs, and planted them all in one day. This was probably one of the longest winters ever, both due to weather, and the fact that I cannot wait to see the dramatic display! For the past few weeks, I have been taking pictures of the growing bulbs. I have some new crocuses blooming, and I can see the leaves of the first hyacinths, tulips, and daffodils.

Among my bulbs, I have several primroses. They add some color to the ground, where the bulbs tend to be a little higher. In about a month, the tulips will be poking out of some forget-me-nots, as well.

Remember to keep track of what you have planted where. That way you can plan for an even more spectacular showing next year. I have some hints in the article Start Planning Next Year's Spring Garden This Spring.

I also love to photograph my bulbs. Here are some links to my slideshows from other years. And stay tuned for more from this year!

Glimpses of the Garden 2010


Signs of Spring: Tulips 2010


Spring 2010 Leaves

Hyacinths 2010

Daffodils 2010

Primroses 2010

Spring Tulips 2007

Daffodils and Narcissus 2007

Spring Hyacinths 2007

Springtime Garden Display 2007

You can see even more pictures, from the entire season, and other photographs, on my RedGage profile.

6 comments:

  1. The best thing about bulbs is the way that they multiply every year and the display just keeps on getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygoodness, HUNDREDS of bulbs? Yikes! I've not bought any, I just dig them up from other places in the yard and reposition them elsewhere. So far so good.

    I've got just a few tulips, a decent number of daffodils, and one lonely little grape hyacinth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, that's a lot of bulbs! :D Congrats on your pretty garden! I absolutely adore daffodils!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how all your flowers are mixed--a riot of beauty! Makes me tired just to read you planted hundreds at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How impressive! I'm glad that I found your blog through the challenge. I'm going to happily follow you :) Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to people like you with a green thumb who plant those bulbs for all to enjoy! I love flowers!! :)

    ReplyDelete